Gainesville Kids Triathlon
YOU HAVE QUESTIONS - WE HAVE ANSWERS! (Please read the entire page before calling. Thanks!)
Who can do the Gainesville Kids Tri?
- Anyone! There are specific age groups for competitive athletes, plus a "Tri 4 Fun" division for all ages...parents included!
When is the event?
- The event takes place over 2 days. (Saturday, Oct. 4 & Sunday, Oct. 5)
- Saturday, October 4th is a MANDATORY Packet Pick Up during the Kids Kick Off Party at Citizen's Field from 4:00PM-7:00PM
- This is an important part of the race that will allow you to pick-up your information, see the course layout, and be prepared for the next day.
- EVERYONE MUST attend this Saturday event in order to pick up your stuff and compete on Sunday.
- There will be Walking Clinics at the start of every hour. (4pm, 5pm, 6pm) This will allow the kids and parents to actually see the course and ask questions about what to do, when to do it, and anything else you can think of.
- Sunday, October 5th is the actual Race and will begin very early in the morning.
- Athlete Check-in opens at 6:00am for you to let us know you are here. You may put stuff like Shoes, Shirts, & Towels into the transition area.
- BIKES WILL BE PUT IN TRANSITION ON SUNDAY MORNING.
- Everyone must have their bikes in transition before 7:30am, regardless of which group you are in. You will need time to park and walk your bike up to the football field area for Registration, so plan ahead to have plenty of time.
- Your child will be "Body Marked" by our volunteers with their race number on their arms and legs, just like an Adult Triathlete.
- There will be a MANDATORY Pre-Race Meeting, given by the Race Director to all the athletes at 7:45am, so don't be late!
- The first group starts at 8:00am. All other groups will wait for their time to start and cheer on other athletes while they wait.
Where does it all take place?
- Citizen's Field Football Stadium
1385 NE 14th St
- Look for the Event Parking Signs as you enter. The Registration/Start/Finish area is in the middle of the field.
What will I need to participate?
- A Great Attitude!
- Swim Suit. Wear something you can bike and run in. You won't have time to change clothes.
- Swim Goggles (Optional)
- Colored Swim Caps will be provided. This is how we know the kids are in the correct group to start.
- Bicycle (Training Wheels allowed). Any type of bike will work. Some will have very fast speed bikes and others will have BMX bikes. If you can pedal it, it works for us. Baskets and bells are okay too. It's all about having FUN!
- Bicycle Helmet. If you don't have one, the Sheriff's Office will be on-site to donate one to you and even help you make it fit.
- Running Shoes and socks
- Willingness to have FUN!
What is the wristband for?
- Each child/athlete will receive a numbered wristband on Saturday that they will wear throughout the event. One Parent or designated adult will receive a matching wristband, with the exact same number. After coming through the Finish Line, each child will end up in the "Kids Corral" where they will wait for their parent to pick them up. The Parent or designated adult MUST have the matching wristband or they cannot claim the child. A Police Officer will be assigned to assist anyone who doesn't have their wristband.
How do the Divisions work?
7:45 AM - Senior Pre-Race Meeting (Mandatory)
8:00 AM - Jr. A Starts (Ages 5,6,7,& 8)
8:45 AM - Jr. B Starts (Ages 9 & 10)
9:30 AM - Sr. A Starts (Ages 11 & 12)
9:45 AM - Junior Awards Ceremony (time is approximate)
10:15 AM - Sr. B Starts (Ages 13,14,& 15)
11:00 AM - Tri4Fun Starts (All Ages)
11:15 PM - Senior Awards Ceremony (time is approximate)
- Kids are grouped into 4 divisions to make it easier to keep them in order. The smallest kids (age 5-8) are in the Junior A Division. The 9 & 10 year olds are in the Junior B Division. Both of these junior divisions do the "Short Course" which is about half as long as the "Long Course"
- The older kids (age 11 & 12) are in the Senior A Division and will do the "Long Course", as well as the Senior B Division (Ages 13-15)
- The Tri 4 Fun Division is for ALL Ages and is not scored or timed. This division was created for kids that don't want to be in a competitive group, parents that want to run the event with their kids, or brothers and sisters that want to do the event together and are different ages. Basically, anyone can do the Tri 4 Fun, but you still have to register. The Tri 4 Fun division will do the "Short Course" because it's "Just for Fun".
- Divisions will start at separate times, according to the schedule below
Can I do the Senior A Division and then come back and do the Tri 4 Fun?
- Yes, as long as you register for both.
I am in the Senior B division and my race doesn't start until 10:15am. Do I still have to be there before 7:45am to check in?
- Yes. Everyone has to be checked in before their race begins. The Field access will close at 7:45am until all the racers have completed the course.
- Bikes will be put into transition on Sunday morning and must remain there until all athletes are done. We will open transition for Junior Bike Removal after the Junior Awards Ceremony.
My child is 8 years old. How come he has to run with the 9 year olds?
- This is a USAT sanctioned event.
- Because every child is ranked among all the Kids Triathlons in the entire country, USA Triathlon has to use a standard for ages of competitors. Therefore, ALL athletes will compete at the age they will turn this year. Whatever age your child will be on December 31, 2014 -That is their age for the race.
(ex. If your child is 8 years old now, with a birthday in November, they will be entered in the race as a 9 year old)
How does the Swim work?
- Swimmers will be lined up in a single file line and enter the pool "one at a time", about every 10 seconds. Their time will start when they enter the water.
- The Junior Divisions & Tri 4 Fun will swim 5 laps in the pool (125 Meters)
- The Senior Divisions will swim 9 laps in the pool (225 Meters)
- All athletes will have the option to start at the edge of the pool or at the top of the slide. There is no advantage to the slide, but it's lots of fun!
- We will have Lifeguards within reach of every swimmer at all times and we have a designated area where parents are welcome on the pool deck to watch and cheer!
- Floatation devices ARE ALLOWED for the swim. Floaties, Kickboards, & vests are permitted for children that need them. They are considered safety devices, not propulsion devices, and provide no advantage during the swim.
- Once they exit the swim, athletes will run to the transition area and get ready to ride their bike.
Why aren't parents allowed in the transition area?
- First, it's against the rules for any athlete to receive outside assistance from anyone other than a race official.
- Second, I know it's hard to believe but sometimes parents tend to get in the way of other athletes as they try to get through transition. The less people in transition the better, and we will already have a ton of "Official" volunteers to help the kids find their bikes and tie their shoes, if necessary. In this case "Less is More"!!!!
What kind of Awards will be given?
- Trophies will be given to the First, Second, and Third Place finisher in each Age Group for both Boys and Girls
Will athletes receive a Finisher's Medal?
- Yes! Regardless of how they place within their Age Group. Each and evey kid who crosses the finish line will receive a commemorative Finishers Medal to recognize their accomplishment! (including the Tri4Fun division)
How much does it cost to enter?
- Pre-Registration is only $35 per child. You can register on-line and pay a little more to use your Credit Card or download and print the form, fill it out and send it in with a check.
What if I register and then I get sick or change my mind? Can I let someone else use my entry?
- No.Race entries are non-transferable and non-refundable. If you are unable to attend, please consider your entry fee a donation to the GCRA. Thank you.
What if I can't afford the entry fee?
- There are a limited number of scholarship opportunities for kids in need.
- If you feel you may qualify, please click here fill out our online form. Sponsored by
Oelrich Construction & The Chestnut Law Firm.
- Scholarship applications must be received by October 1st.
Who do I call or e-mail if I still have questions?